Scott Norwood

Scott Norwood
Wide Right started it all.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday ATS Recap: Blow'd Up

This is more what we're used to. After the relative ease of Week 1, Week 2 provided big lines and bigger blowouts. Dre and I also faced off against each other for our only matchup of the fantasy regular season. I showed Dre why making fun of my high round draft choice of Jahvid Best was a bad idea.

  • Bengals 15, Ravens 10 - Jason winner, Dre loser. Since the dismal first half against New England, Cincy has now played 6 pretty solid quarters of football. Beating the Ravens is a sure step in the right direction for the Bengals. While I have big long-term expectations for Baltimore this year, they look like a risky short term cover.
  • Dolphins 14, Vikings 10 - Jason loser, Dre winner. I hate losing games to the "Favre Rule," but this week it served Dre well. Miami tried really hard to gift the game to the Vikes, but a late stuff of AP on a 4th and goal at the 1 sealed the deal, and the pick.
  • Bears 27, Cowboys 20 - Jason winner, Dre loser. I tried to warn Dre. My Bears Road Dog sense was tingling, and while my prophetic powers usually concern the Bears on the road against AFC foes, something about the awfulness of the Cowboys against Washington seemed like it was going to seep its way into this game as well. Jay Cutler looks more comfortable in the new offense in it's second week. Dallas, on the other hand, looks lost. My reaction is still HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCKAS!!!
  • Eagles 35, Lions 32 - Both winners. If I'm a fan of anything, it's Garbage Time Touchdowns. The Lions played valiantly for a second straight week and almost gutted out a tremendous comeback, thanks to Jahvid Best and his 36 fantasy points. Best can suck the rest of the season now, I think he just knew Dre made fun of my picking him in our fantasy league.
  • Falcons 41, Cardinals 7 - Both losers. I said I wanted to see something out of Atlanta before I felt I could trust picking them to cover a spread. This definitely qualified as something. Jason Snelling is poised to be the waiver wire pickup player of Week 3, much like Brandon Jackson was for Week 2. Unexpected squoosh, but as a Falcon fan, I'll take it.
  • Chiefs 16, Browns 14 - Jason loser, Dre winner. Fuck the Browns.
  • Packers 34, Bills 7 - Both winners. After a sluggish first half, Aaron Rodgers looked a lot like his 2009 self and lit up the Bills through the air and with his feet. Sad thought of the week: Bears/Packers next week on MNF is a battle for first place.
  • Steelers 19, Titans 11 - Jason loser, Dre winner. I was concerned that the Steelers couldn't keep up the defensive intensity they displayed at home against Atlanta and carry it over into Nashville. Mouth, meet foot.
  • Bucs 20, Panthers 7 - Both losers. This is embarrassing now. I'm the creator and only member of the Josh Freeman fan club, and I REFUSE TO PICK HIM TO WIN GAMES. By the time I figure this out, it'll be too late.
  • Raiders 16, Rams 14 - Jason loser, Dre winner. I'm thinking I'm toast for the week on our picks, about to lose 5 of the 7 that Dre and I differed on. Little did I know that while the Raiders were giving up the spread killing TD to the Rams, the Texans were rewarding me for picking them. Why is this blurb about the Texans saving my week? Because nobody cares about the Rams or the Raiders.
  • Broncos 31, Seahawks 14 - Both winners. The Pete Carrol Rah-Rah-Sis-Boom-Bah festival of man-love ended as we both predicted.
  • Texans 30, Redskins 27 (OT Baby) - Jason winner, Dre loser. Key season opening win against division rival? Check. Gritty, come from behind road win? Check. Saving Jason from an embarrasing 2-5 against Dre in the picks? Check.
  • Chargers 38, Jaguars 13 - Both losers. About that upset special of the week? Yeah, sorry about that.
  • Jets 28, Patriots 14 - Both losers. The Pats will only be able to win with no running game for so long. This also showed what the Jets are capable of when Mark Sanchez isn't awful. Sadly for Jets fans, he'll be awful more often than he's not. 0-2 disaster averted for NY, but great things do not lie ahead.
  • Colts 38, Giants 14 - Both winners. Bad spot for the Giants having to face the Colts after they got embarrassed by Houston. Mathis and Freeney looked posessed, forcing the game changing TD just as the Giants looked to have some life. Peyton Manning needed a game like this to get Dre off the ledge after proclaiming that Peyton would win 9 of the next 10 Super Bowls, or something like that. I was too busy laughing to pay attention to that prediction.
Another great Sunday of football is in the bag. As for that fantasy matchup between myself and Dre:

Short Term Gaines (that's my tasteless name of the year) - 164 pts with 2 guys left to play Mon night.
Chris Henry Rides Shotgun (that's Dre's tasteless name of the year) - 148 pts and nobody left to play.

Maybe I'll get to that 200 points I predicted after all. Though 180 would be pretty nice too. Gets me closer to that Points Championship!

No comments:

Post a Comment