Scott Norwood

Scott Norwood
Wide Right started it all.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

2011 Week #2

5-11 left me feeling real salty all week.  I'm ready to turn it around and put up a much better Week 2, although a few games are certainly coin flips for me.  But I love seven games as total crushers.  Here are our picks.

Fav Spread Dog

Dre Jay

NO (0-1) Chi (1-0)

Chi Chi
GB (1-0) 10    CAR (0-1)

GB GB
MIN (0-1) 3    TB (0-1)

TB Min
DET (1-0) 9    KC (0-1)

KC Det
Cle (1-0) 2    IND (0-1)

Ind Ind
PIT (0-1) 14    Sea (0-1)

Pit Pit
Bal (1-0) 6    TENN (0-1)

Bal Bal
NYJ (1-0) 9    Jack (1-0)

NY Jack
BUF (0-1) 3    Oak (1-0)

Oak Buf
WASH (1-0) Ariz (1-0)

Ariz Wash
Dal (0-1) 3    SF (1-0)

SF SF
NE (1-0) 7    SD (1-0)

NE SD
DEN (0-1) Cin (1-0)

Cin Den
Hou (1-0) 3    MIA (0-1)

Hou Mia

Sun. Nite




Phi (1-0) ATL (0-1)

Phi Phi

Mon. Nite



NYG (0-1) StL (0-1)

NY StL

Jason's thoughts and observations are available in his earlier post.  Here are mine.

  • I can't take the Bears to beat the Saints straight up, but I had the feeling all week that this would be a back-and-forth affair with New Orleans surviving.  That spread is just too big against this Bears defense the way they're playing.  Even with ten days to prepare, I can't take Drew Brees and the Saints by a full TD.
  • Jason is right on when he says that this defense Cam Newton and the Panthers will see is a class upgrade from his first NFL game.  The Packers ain't the Cardinals.  Pack squoosh.
  • Here's my first coin flip of the week.  Minnesota did nothing in San Diego to be worthy of being favored at home, while Tampa Bay did nothing against Detroit to be worthy of only being a 3-point underdog.  I'll split the difference and take the Bucs to cover.  I'd like to take Donovan McNabb and the Vikings to rebound and torch that rancid Bucs D, but I'm not yet convinced that McNabb still has what it takes to torch anybody.
  • Detroit has to roll Kansas City this week if they're legit, and since they're not, I'll take those points and pick the Chiefs to stay in the game.
  • Which crap team wins?  Browns or Colts?  I'll have to go with Indy and side with Jason.  If Kerry Collins has a shred of dignity, he throws 70 times this week and does whatever it takes to lead the Colts to victory over the less-than-impressive Brownies.
  • Pittsburgh a 2-TD favorite after what Baltimore did to them?  That's insane!  It's Steeler bias, thinking Pitt can ignore their aging defense and just act like nothing happ...oh wait, they're playing Seattle.  Yeah, it's not enough.  Steel squoosh.  Lock of the week.
  • Ravens-Titans should be a mismatch.  Baltimore is in trouble only if they were extra fired up for Pittsburgh and left their best game on the field last week.  I'll take the Ravens to be more professional than that and go into Nashville out to prove that Week 1 was no outlandish occurrence.
  • Mark Sanchez draws his second bad secondary in as many weeks, and for the second time, I'll pick him to perform well and cover the number.  Jacksonville may have stopped Matt Hasselbeck and the Titans last week, but I wouldn't bet on that defense to step up again.
  • I can also imagine Buffalo beating Oakland by a FG and providing our first push of the year, but what I can't imagine is a Bills blowout.  I can see Oakland possibly ekeing out a win with another punishing run attack, so I gotta take the 3 points and ignore the West Coast-East Coast flight plan and pick the Silver & Black.
  • And speaking of going from West to East, Arizona goes to the nation's capital to find out which Rex will show up.  I can see Rex and the Skins taking advantage of the same D that allowed Cam Newton to throw for more yards in his debut than any other QB evah.  I can also see Kevin Kolb, Larry Fitzgerald and the Redbirds keeping pace in a high-scoring contest.  Again, it's close, but I gotta take the underdog and the points.
  • San Francisco doesn't have the aerial weapons to take advantage of the Cowboys and their beat-up secondary.  I'll still predict that Tony Romo finds a way to fuck up the end of the game and lose.
  • I'm going to take the Patriots to squoosh the Chargers, even though San Diego is my Super Bowl pick.  I think the Bolts like starting the season slow.  It's the one thing they're good at, that and letting in special teams TDs.  I think New England will put a whooping on San Diego, because Tom Brady appears to be in that zone right now, and it will serve as a Charger wake-up call and propel them to better play and a great season.  They may even wind up back in Foxboro in January.
  • Cincinnati vs. Denver was such a coin flip that I've changed my straight-up pick.  I initially had the Bengals to come in and win due to Denver's short week and injuries, but I'm going to root hard for a last-minute comeback drive for Kyle Orton and a Broncos victory, just to shut the retards up who want Tim Tebow to play.  But I still will pick Cincy to cover.
  • I feel a Texans squoosh at Miami because it's another big passing offense at the Dolphins, and New England screwed them so bad Monday night that Miami felt the need to cut the nickel back.  Maybe Andre Johnson or Jacoby Jones embarrasses them so bad that they fire the secondary coach on the field.
  • Eagles-Falcons on Sunday night is the must-see game.  How many black folks will come out in Hotlanta to support Mike Vick, the dogfighting ringleader?  How many of them will have dog collars to show their support?  But seriously, this should be a tremendous game.  I think the Falcons let all of us know where they are in their development as an elite team last week when they got bumrushed by the Bears.  I'll go with Philadelphia to send the Dirty Birds to 0-2.  The lead that Vick and LeSean McCoy build with their legs, Matt Ryan will try to erase with his arm, and that's what the ballhawks in the Eagles secondary want him to do.
  • Only one Monday night game this week.  It's that always exciting Rams-Giants rivalry.  I'll take Giants squoosh.  The G-Men have to be angry after letting Washington beat them in a division game, and young Sam Bradford and the Rams will provide a fresh sacrifice.  New York can light up the St. Louis cornerbacks if they can protect Eli Manning from the Rams pass rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment