Scott Norwood

Scott Norwood
Wide Right started it all.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thu. Nite Giants @ Panthers

I was interested in checking the point spread of this contest yesterday when the news of all the Giants injuries came out.  I wondered if I could sneak in a pick for Carolina with a favorable spread before the number moved in order to get an advantage in the Covers.com contest.  (Did I mention that I'm ranked 10th after two weeks out of 10,150 contestants???)  And indeed, I got Carolina -1 at about 5P Central.  This morning, Jason informed me that he's getting as cute as it can get, because he sees the spread now is Carolina -2½ and he's taking the Panthers by a 19-17 score, which means he's got New York to cover.  As much as I want to give him the -1 line from yesterday and save him the embarrassment of getting blowed out this evening, he cited the most current line, so we're going with that.  And if you don't know the Giants injuries, among them are WR Hakeem Nicks, who caught 199 yards of balls Sunday; backup WR Domenik Hixon; and starting tailback Ahmad Bradshaw.  All are out for tonight's game.  Coming off of last Thursday's bad pick, I'm instituting a new but not totally new rule for myself of not taking any road teams on a short week unless I have a damn good reason.  And the G-Men missing so many key parts against Cam Newton and the potent Carolina attack would rank as the opposite of a damn good reason.

My Pick:  Carolina 34-27

No comments:

Post a Comment