Scott Norwood

Scott Norwood
Wide Right started it all.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week 4 ATS Recap: Dre's Great Season Continues!

How bout that Andre? He wasn't too receptive to all the praise I was heaping upon him for the great start to the season that he's having, but c'mon: the guy is a monster! What is it now? Eleven games over .500 for the season, and we're only through week 4. That's incredible! He basically nailed the score of the Thursday night game last week too. Amazing. You know what else? The guy doesn't change his picks either. I have to admit, after spending a night bashing the Saints and then taking them to cover the spread (which is typical for me), that I listened to my own reasoning and flip-flopped to the Packers. It's an election year, so flip-flopping should be accepted.

Dre and I differed on 8 picks, so of course he crushed me, right? I mean, the guy is sporting a .590 win percentage for the year. Hell of a season!

  • Ravens 23, Browns (+12) 16 - Both winners - This was too easy. The Ravens gutted out a tough, emotional, controversial win over the team that knocked them out of the Super Bowl last year in the Patsies. In came Cleveland on a short week. We've seen this too many times to count, but of course the Ravens were going to let the Brownies hang around. Hell, they almost let them tie the game at the very end. Nothing surprising here, and don't think for an instant that this game diminishes the Ravens title hopes, this is just how they roll.
  • Patriots (-Not Enough) 52, Bills 28 - Both winners - Ouch. Buffalo scores 28 and lost by almost as many. The Patriots rallied from a 21-7 deficit to score 45 second half points. That's some serious ass-whoopery.
  • Texans (-11½) 38, Titans 14 - Dre winner, Jason loser - I was a little taken back when the Titans announced that Jake Locker would start the season at QB, with a brutal 5 game stretch to start the season. After next weeks game against Pittsburgh would have been a perfect time to scrape Matt Hasselbeck off the turf and turn the keys over to Locker. As it turns out, it's Locker being scraped off the turf just about every week, and now Hasselbeck looks to be starting for the forseeable future after Locker reagrivated his left shoulder separation. Nothing to report for the Texans, they're still awfully good.
  • Chargers (-1) 37, Chiefs 20 - Both winners - We cited how awful the Saints are in handing this game to the Bolts. Correct we were, while Jamaal Charles comeback season continues to go strongly, the Chargers did not allow the Chiefs to RUN their way back from a big defecit the way the Saints no-account defense did. Another easy win.
  • Vikings (+4) 20, Lions 13 - Dre winner, Jason loser - Props to Dre for seeing this one coming (he's having a hell of a season didn't you know?). The Lions dominated the stat sheet against the Vikes, except for a couple little things. One: special teams. Two: Scoreboard! The Lions special teams channeled their inner Chargers special teams en route to allowing two special teams scores for the second straight week. They lost both games by a combined 10 points. I'm still not sold on the Vikings, who could be last years Bills. No, that's not something to aspire to.
  • Falcons 30, Panthers (+7) 28 - Both winners - Sure, the Falcons needed some careless Cam Newton ball handling and horrific secondary play to eke out a win at home against a game Panther squad, but would the Falcons have it any other way? This Atlanta squad just keeps racking up regular season wins, which is nice and all, but we've seen this show before.
  • Rams (+3) 19, Seahawks 13 - Jason winner, Dre loser - Finally, I started taking some games from Dre. Something seemed off about the spread for this game, making the "2-1" Seahwaks a road favorite against division rival St. Louis. Had Russell Wilson's game winning interception gone the other way, I doubt that the line would have had Sea -3. Nevertheless, the Rams rose up and slogged out a sloppy win that would have covered any theoretical spread.
  • Niners (-4½) 34, Jets 0 - Dre winner, Jason loser - Back in week 1 I said that I'd never been so happy to lose a pick. Scratch that, NOW I've never been so happy to lose a pick. God, I hate the fucking Jets.
  • Cardinals 24, Dolphins (+5) 21 (OT) - Jason winner, Dre loser - It would have made me happier if the Dolphins had hung on to win this game just so I don't have to see another "Power Poll" with the Cardinals in the #1 spot. Ridiculous.
  • Broncos (-7) 37, Raiders 6 - Dre winner, Jason loser - When I lost picks this week to Dre, I lost them big! Niners 34-0? Didn't see it coming. Vikings special teams outscore the Lions? Nope, didn't see it either. Peyton Manning handing the Raiders their lunch? Let's just say I'm glad all losses count for the same. What NFL was I watching?
  • Bengals (-1) 27, Jaguars 10 - Both winners - Seriously, we need to head to Vegas with the Bengal Bumslayer Rule. By my calculations, the Bengals will win 4 more games the rest of the season (Miami, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland). Sadly, 7-9 wont get it done. The Bengals just don't play enough bums.
  • Packers 28, Saints (+9) 27 - Both losers - Yes, I changed my pick, and over 20+ years of doing this, I don't think it's ever worked. Should I go on to lose the season to Dre by one game, I'll be able to point to this one game as the sole reason why. Of course, it's all nonsense, considering the Packers were on their way to rolling up the Saints until Graham Harrell decided to shit the bed and fumble on the Saints goal line. Aaron Rodgers better start wearing a visor, or he's gonne get the Curly treatment from other teams just to get Harrell some meaningful snaps. Matt Flynn he's not.
  • Redskins (+1) 24, Bucs 22 - Jason winner, Dre loser - At this point, I might be the only remaining member of the Josh Freeman fan club, especially if people saw the tape of his first half against Washington. He got it turned around in the second half and even had his team up 1 with time running out, but in the end it was too much RG3 for the Bucs to handle. Hey Josh, it's a lot easier to win games when you don't let the other team get up 21-6 on you. Unless you're Tom Brady, then it's no big deal.
  • Eagles (-1) 19, Giants 17 - Both winners - Ya gotta love the Eagles. Three wins by a combined 4 points. And the Giants! They've rolled up some also rans Bengal-style but are now 0-2 in their division. I can't make heads or tails of either one of these teams, so I won't even try. This whole division has 8-8 written all over it.
  • Bears (+3½) 34, Cowboys 18 - Jason winner, Dre loser - I can just see Dre sitting there before I made my pick for this game going "please take Dallas, please take Dallas, please....awww dammit, I'm fucked." You can't mess with Bear Whispering.
Jason & Dre 10-5

No comments:

Post a Comment